Sunday, September 20, 2009

Talking Points # 1

Author : Peggy McIntosh
"White Privilege :Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack".

Quotes.
1. " As a white person, I realized I had been taught about racism as something that puts others at a disadvantage, but had been taught not to see one of its corollary aspects, white privilege, which puts me at an advantage" ( page 1 ).

This quote from McIntosh is a great starting point to the article. I totally agree with this quote as well. It is very important to come to a realization that we (the white race) do get certain advantages. White people like to think that when they gain certain advantages it is because of how good of a job they have done. White people do not want to identify themselves as the white race. However, blacks and other races, know their race could potentially put them at a disadvantage.

2. " I can criticize our government and and talk about how much I fear its policies and behavior without being seen as a cultural outsider" ( Page 3).

I could have put any of the 26 points McIntosh makes for my second quote. These points are important because they are points that white people take for granted. I believe this quote is especially important in this day and age. White people can get on the news and bash the government all they want. This is seen as they are just worried for the country. If someone of another race were to bash the government they are "racist" or just do not"fit in" with American culture.

3. "The pressure to avoid it is great, for in facing it I must give up the myth of meritocracy. If these things are not true, this is not such a free country ; one's life is not what one makes it; many doors open for certain people through no virtues of their own" (page4).

It is very easy to avoid the thought of a privilege exists for a certain individual. "All men are created equal", would be a fallacy. I believe this point directly corrects with Johnson. To fix the problem we have to acknowledge the problem and be the solution.

This article by Peggy McIntosh was probably my favorite so far. Very easy to read, without being biased and making white people seem evil. The article is more about coming to a realization that white people do get certain advantages, and some sort of change needs to happen. I really liked the 26 points she mentioned because it makes sense to me. These are things that happen on a day to day basis that most white people take for granted. I believe this text related the most to Johnson because it has a more postive feel to it and acknowledges the privilege issue in America, that is blind to most.

McIntosh talks about the system. The power systems need to be reconstructed. I propose a question to everyone. Most of these articles admit that there is a problem in America. But what is the solution? I do not know if it is just me but I feel that this problem is way bigger than any one person or even couple of hundred people. Each of us could be the solution in the classrom sparking minds, but what about on a nationwide scale? What is the solution to the problem?

3 comments:

  1. Thank you, I liked your conclusion. It is true that we do need to find a solution :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like now that we have a black president, the fact that only white people can openly criticize government will change. I can't say it for sure, but I feel like the racism roles might end up reversed in this situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the questions you pose at the end here! In fact, you name that distinction between individuals and institutions that we talk ed about in class. Yes, it is systemic. So what do we do about it? Keep raising this question all semester and we will keep trying to answer it!

    ReplyDelete