Sunday, October 18, 2009

Talking Points # 5

"In the Service of What "
Joseph Kahne and Joel Westheimer

1. "The experiential and interpersonal components of service learning activities can achieve the first crucial step toward diminishing the sense of "otherness" that often separates students-particularly privileged students-from those in need. In so doing, the potential to develop caring relationships is created."

This first quote really hit me because it relates to other authors like Johnson. To diminish our privileges we can help those in need. By doing this students can get to know and learn from people who are not privileged. By caring for students one can have a meaningful relationship with different students.

2. "This experience and others like it, quite common in the literature of service learning, emphasize charity more than change. The experience was structured to promote giving rather than to provide the kind of understanding needed for the development of caring relationships. As a result, the student's description of the event lacked the perspective and input of those she was helping."

This quote is very important to what we are doing in class. We are all forming relationships with the students and schools we are volunteering at now. If a person is just giving their time without analyzing certain students situations, then they are not learning or bettering anyone. To be the change we need in this world one has to do more than just giver their time.

3. "In the service of what?" is a question that inevitably merits the attention ofteachers, policy makers, and academicians who take seriously the idea that learning and service reinforce each other and should come together in America's schools."

This conclusion to the article coincides with my own beliefs. I never had to do any service learning in my high school and I surely could have benefited from it. Giving back to people in need will make the learning experience of high school students all over the country better.

I really enjoyed this article. It made perfect sense to me. I liked the table with the breakdown of service learning goals. The change section is obviously what we are striving for. Caring, Social reconstruction, and transformation Experience are most important. If you just stay on the surface you will never truly get what you are supposed to out of the service learning. Digging deeper and forming relationships will give the volunteer and the student better education.

I never did any service learning in high school. I was curious if anyone of you ever had to do this? Do you guys think service learning should be mandatory across the country? And do you think the students would really benefit from this?

11 comments:

  1. In my high school we had to complete 25 hours of community service in order to graduate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your response on the second quote. We can't expect to learn anything by just giving up our time. We need to use that time to learn about the situations that we are facing and to learn for our future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely believe that service learning should be incorporated into high school curriculums... Its not enough to just be told that things happen, but when you witness them first hand you will never forget... And if we can encourage the youth to join in then we are one more step ahead of the last generation...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to complete community service in order to graduate from my high school as well. I think it can and should be made mandatory for all high school students to give back to their communities and I think this is the best way to make sure that this goal is reached. I think the students will benefit from it a lot more than they will expect to...I am sure they will hate having to do it but looking back on the experience is when they will learn. It may not be until the whole experience is over, but I think it is impossible for them to leave having learned nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did community service to make my confermation, in highschool,and tons for my prior college. I think it helped me to better understand others,to learn about the world, and i believe that it has shaped me to have the heart as big as I do today :). I felt amazingg whenever I finished community service. Maybe im corny or wierd, but that feeling i cant put into words its so amazing. I volunteered with children who were extremly mentally challenged for 50 hours. I worked in a church on fridays selling fish and chips to the elderly who I adored. I helped paint a mural at a low end elementary school, and created a playground for the students. I would def. say students who participate in community service benefit from it, and I reccommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never did any community service in High School and I am pretty sure they didn't have any service learning opportunities back then. I think it would have been good for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In my senior year of highschool we had to complete 20 hours of community service in order to graduate, and we could choose anywhere we wanted to go to do it; they just had to approve. Which 9 out of 10 times they did. And yes, I do think it should be mandatory for all schools because we need to get out there and make a difference. We've scratched the surface enough; now it's time to take action.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had to complete a senior project, but it did not include service hours. I believe that high school students would benefit from service learning especially those from middle-upper class schools, who are not exposed to these situation as often.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to do community service in order to receive one of my scholarships yearly. I think students benefit from it because they need to lose the media perspective of community service being used as a punishment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am glad this resonated with you so clearly -- you make excellent connections to your current SL experience.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The only community service i had to do was for National Honors Society. At first, when i was a freshman and sophomore they were going to make a community service type of project manditory but then they got rid of it. I definately think community service should be part of high school graduation requirments.

    ReplyDelete